Here is the information page for our squads. We currently have four squads in Auckland diving which provide environments where divers can progress their skills and compete locally, domestically and possibly internationally. Squads are by invitation only.
Term 4: Monday 14 Oct - Saturday 21 Dec (10 wks)
Term 1 2020: Monday 3 Feb - Saturday 11 April
TERM CLASS SCHEDULE CHANGES
Sat Dec 14 - Oceania Diving Championships; please see below for squad session time change (C Squad has been cancelled).
TIME CHANGE FOR DEC 14
Squads will have dryland and poolside
D Squad: 7-8am dryland; 8-9am poolside lane 8 main pool
A&T Squad: 8-9am dryland; 9-10am poolside lane 8 main pool
Our Talent Squad is for our younger divers who show early potential in the sport of diving and move through the lesson grade scheme competently. There is a strong focus on developing a solid base of fundamental diving movements. We aim to develop the skills of all divers placing emphasis on quality.
Coaches: Liam Stone, Eleanor Phillips, Finn Bramley
- Divers must have passed grade 4
- Children must be 11 years and younger
- Have been identified as talented
- Competing Required
- Have expressed an interest to take diving more seriously
- Can commit to one (preferably two) 2hr sessions per week
Sessions are broken down to 1 hour of ‘dryland’ and 1 hour of pool time. In the dry gym there is a focus on form, body awareness, physical strength and flexibility. In the pool we work on skills across poolside, 1m, 3m and 5m boards based on the National Skills Program.
T-Squad members will have the opportunity to perform in skills testing events throughout the year. As part of this squad, we encourage and expect participation in such events. The main target will be the Skills Nationals in October. Divers can participate in different levels for different boards in all events excluding Nationals, where the same level must be performed on all 3 boards.
The Advanced Squad is for divers generally 11 and over. There is emphasis on learning more intricate dives and creating a solid diving base alongside improving strength and flexibility
Coaches: Ellie Price, Eleanor Phillips, Tayla Gibbs
- Must have passed grade 5
- Have been identified by coaching staff as a potential A squad member
- Have expressed an interest in doing more diving
- Must commit to at least one 2hr session per week
- Competing optional
Divers in A Squad work on progressing through the National Skill Testing Program (Levels 1, 2 and 3) and also Auckland Diving's Grade 6. The sessions are two hours, with one hour in the dryland and one hour in the pool.
A-Squad members will have the opportunity to perform in skills testing events throughout the year. As part of this squad, we encourage participation in such events. The main target will be the Skills Nationals in October. Divers can participate in different levels for different boards in all events excluding Nationals, where the same level must be performed on all 3 boards.
The development Squad is for those who have completed The National Skills Testing Programme and are progressing towards the next steps in competitive diving; New Zealand Agegroup, FINA Junior Elite and FINA Open competitions.
Coaches: Ellie Price
- Must have competed all boards at Level 3
- Divers must be able to commit to at least two sessions a week
- Have been identified as able to progress to the next level of diving and are capable of learning an agegroup, junior elite and/or open list of dives
- Competing required
D Squad offers sessions which focus on the development of Agegroup, FINA Junior Elite and/or open lists. There is an emphasis on developing psychological skills, flexibility, strength and competition performance.
D Squad members are expected to compete in all the Auckland events and ideally domestic events. There are opportunities within this squad to represent New Zealand in lower-level international events.
Auckland's competitive squad holds New Zealand's future Olympians who are progressing towards representing diving on a senior international level. Divers are working on FINA Junior Elite and FINA Open lists.
Coaches: Steve Gladding, Cordelia Norris
- Must commit to at least 4 training sessions a week
- Been identified as both mentally and physically capable of competing at a top level of international diving
- Showing strengths such as power, flexibility, overall aesthetic, commitment, dedication, mental toughness, bravery and a positive demeanour.
- Has chosen diving as their 'main sport' and desire to progress to senior international events
- Competing required
Invitations into C Squad are subjective and unique and is a joint decision between the diver, coaches (and parents/caregivers if under 18). C Squad sessions focus on developing competition lists and mindsets. There is focus on personal development as the diver practices both mental training and physical training. Divers look to obtain NZ Junior Elite and Open lists
C Squad divers are expected to compete in all local, domestic and international events agreed upon with the coach at their annual individual meetings.